Sunday, May 07, 2006

"The Amazing Race: Clay Aiken edition 2006" - how it went for me

Last Monday evening, I participated in The "Amazing Race" Clay Aiken online edition, spring 2006, which was organized by Clay's Daily Double, Clay Aiken - the Ideal Idol and the Clay Report. I had blogged about it a few days beforehand. Turns out about 300 people began the race, while 61 finished it. And I am relieved to say that after over 3 hours that evening, crossed eyes and a bit less hair on my head, I was one of the 61 who crossed the finish line. Phew! At one point I wasn't sure I would make it! Ok, I was only number 35 to reach the finish line, which is not too great, but hey, at least I was there. :-)

And I want to thank the organizers for including my blog in the list of Website destinations - that was very nice of you, and contributed to greater visibility for ClayKat! Since then, I have noticed an increase in visitors, which is great. Thanks also for the personal comment in the ClayKat clue (something like "check out her blog, it's awesome") - that was very sweet of you!

The race was a lot of fun - but also, a lot harder than I expected. I thought there were be mostly questions about Clay, his life, his music, his personality. But the questions seemed mostly about Claymate fan sites, and Clayfans themselves. And I do say "seemed" because I'm just sharing my impressions. I don't have the actual questions anymore, and so I haven't done anything like a proper analysis. I thought I knew most of the Clay fan Web sites and blogs, but I discovered some I had no idea existed, which is great. And I thank the race organizers for including afterwards a list of the Websites and blogs which were race destination sites. More Clay resources to get to know!

I have a few critiques which I would like to share. One of them was an obstacle which made me lose about 45 minutes - 1 hour, and almost made me give up continuing the race. It was the clue to find a piece of information on an ezboard discussion forum. One has to be logged in to access those fora, and I couldn't for the life of me recall the password I had used a long time ago when I set up an ezboard account for myself. I used the automatic system to ask ezboard to send me my password. At least 45 minutes later, it still hadn't arrived in my e-mail account... Finally, when I was about to give up, because I could not go any further into the race without providing the answer to the ezboard question, my stepson asked his Dad whether he didn't have an ezboard account. He said he thought so, though it had been a while. I tried logging in using his username and his usual password - which worked, thank goodness! I then found the answer to the question, and continued the race.

The only other issue I have, which slowed me down, was that occasionally the responses one had to provide to move on to the next clue... were wrong. Unless there was something I completely missed, but I don't think so. Let me explain: on at least two questions, I entered what was the correct response (according to the Websites which posted the information), only to be told that it was incorrect. So I had to play around, guessing what might be the "right" answer, although it was actually wrong. The two questions I have in mind had to do with how much money had been raised in Oklahoma for a Clay-related cause (not sure it if was the Bubel-Aiken Foundation - I think so) and the date of ticket pre-sales in Pittsburgh for a Clay concert. For the first question, I entered the correct answer, but the one that was accepted was the amount of funds raised in just one city in Oklahoma, not the state as a whole. As for the second question, the answer was October 6th, 2005, but it refused to let that answer go through. I had to test every date between 1 and 31 until finally it let something go through that was not on the original Website.

In sum, I will definitely participate again - the race was a lot of fun - but I hope the next version will be a bit shorter, have more directly-Clay-related-clues, and no links to online fora or sites for which one has to be registered to get in. ;-)

Technorati tags:

3 comments:

Ressa (ressamac on Twitter) said...

This sounds like a lot of fun. I wish I would have played.

ClayKat said...

lakecat, you are so right. All of these characteristics make up Clay and can hardly be taken apart! That's one of the limitations of a poll: one has to take apart things that often are interrelated. :-)

ClayKat said...

ramy: you may have missed this race, but apparently there will be another one in November, so keep checking out my blog. I'll keep people posted.