Saturday, April 08, 2006

The incredible power of Clay's fandom

Hello everyone,

I'm always amazed at how much power and influence Clay's fans hold, as evidenced by events following their campaigns.

For example, Lycos' top 50 search terms include "Clay Aiken", and his name has been climbing in the chart recently, apparently due to a concerted fan effort to choose Lycos for their search for Clack. Check out Clay's Daily Double's most recent article about this.

Another example - possibly due to coincidence - but probably not. A few days ago, Clay blogged in his official online fan club that he had just finished reading The Kite Runner - and loved it. He recommended his fans read it, and that's all it took for many of us to go buy the book, which apparently sent up order stats on the book at Amazon.com.

Earlier this year, I blogged about Terry Piper's book, The Invisible Revolution: Clay Aiken and the Fans Who Made Him a Star. Her book showed me just how much Clay's fan base has been a loyal and solid supporter of this great singer, following him since that wonderful night in late January of 2003 and still going strong up until now, mostly through the Internet.

For my part, I have been a fan ever since that drop-dead moment in January 2003, but I only joined the online fans in late 2005, after I saw Clay perform live and heard about all the Internet fever around Clay. I'm hooked now!

Technorati tags:

No comments: