Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Clay Aiken is the best!

I had to start this blog to share with others the joy that I feel by listening to Clay Aiken's beautiful voice, seeing his smile, reading his book - feeling his spirit! When I first heard this young man audition on season 2 of American Idol in January 2003, tears came to my eyes - his rich and vibrant voice touched me right away, as it has so very many people then and since.


Clay on American Idol Posted by Picasa

I watched Clay all the way through the Idol competition, cheering him on, learning to get to know the person as well as the voice - at least, as much as one can when one is only a public spectator, not a close friend. And I came to feel very tender-hearted about this radiant young man with the heart of gold. He is truly a gift to this world. He is certainly a gift in my life. Clay may have come in second on American Idol - and goodness knows I liked winner Ruben Studdard a lot too - but Clay was always number one in my mind (and the minds of so many others, as we have seen with his popularity since that time).

He has so much love for people, such humility and such openness to everyone, no matter how small, how young or old, attractive or not, disabled or not. He does not judge people, he sees the individuality and the humanity which is equal in each one of us. And when he sings, he sings to our souls! He sings in my heart, that's for sure, and I can't help smiling whenever I hear his voice.

And yet Clay has much to be sad / mad / resentful for. His childhood was not easy, and neither his biological father nor his stepfather ever really recognized the special person he is. I mostly feel sad that they missed out on being an active part of this incredible young person's life - and his heart. But Clay is wise, young though he is (he will be 27 next month) and he is compassionate. He understands that those two men, who should have been central in Clay's life, had their own important limitations which made it impossible for them to reach out properly and be true fathers for Clay. Having gone through an abusive childhood myself, I can relate to how he feels, but I wish I had Clay's wisdom in accepting what he had to go through.

I am a middle-aged woman in my forties myself, but Clay Aiken, all almost-27 that he is, is one of the wisest people I know and one of the ones I admire most in this world.

No comments: