Saturday, February 11, 2006

Me and Clay's Jukebox tour (Part 3)

Hello everyone,

Here is part 3 of my account of a Clay concert last summer. (If you like, you can read Part 1 and Part 2 of "Me and Clay's Jukebox tour".)

At the beginning of the concert, Clay joked that he would be doing a marathon concert, singing all night. The crowd went nuts, roaring our approval! I would have loved it, myself. The almost four-hour concert (including breaks) flew by for me - it seemed to last only minutes. But by the end, I actually didn't want Clay to sing anymore - for him, not for me! That's because we could tell his voice was going hoarse - it was cracking, and I felt bad that he was giving us so much of himself that he was actually paying for it personally. His throat must have been hurting. Although he seems to love what he does, so that was reassuring.

There were only two moments during which I felt uncomfortable, in that they didn't seem true to Clay and his spirit. One was the infamous "Clangela" dance, in which Clay spooned one of his singers, Angela Fisher, and danced together with her in a way that was quite suggestive: more grinding than dancing, actually. It rang untrue to me, unbecoming of Clay. Not that he can't be sexual or sensual! That's fine, and he has as much right as any one of us to express his sensuality. I'm just saying that from what I know of Clay, he is quite private about the intimate aspects of his life, so that dance just didn't jive with what I understand to be his values and usual behaviour.

Also: during the break I checked out the gift booth, in case I felt like purchasing some momento from the concert. I didn't - nothing appealed to me much. But I noticed a g-string underwear, with something like "I love Clay" written on it. Again, just like the Clangela dance, that didn't jive for me with what I know and understand of Clay. G-string underwear, Clay? With his name written on the crotch, no less? And yet, since his name is on the product, he must have given his stamp of approval to sell it, so I suppose he is ok with it.

Clay must have his reasons, and honestly, who am I to say anything about them? I'm just sharing what went through my mind during this incredible evening - the good (99% of the time) and the not-so-good (1% of the time).

One of the high points for me was listening to the world premiere of "Tears Run Dry", one of Clay's new songs which will probably be included on his upcoming album. I loved that song from the first few bars! I find it really shows the range and depth of Clay's voice, and I love the rugged quality in his voice one hears towards the end of the song. You can listen to Tears Run Dry by downloading it here from the All Things Clay Aiken Web site.

Another thing I loved about hearing this song is that it was a world premiere, so no one had ever heard it - hence, no annoying people singing/screaming along with him throughout the song... I was actually lucky, in that for almost all of the concert, I had quiet people next to, in front of and behind me, just enjoying the music as I was. Towards the very end, not sure why, two young sisters (maybe 8 and 10 years old) moved into the seats behind me and decided they had to sing along with Clay, every lyric of every song! And they had no ear, singing off-key the entire time. Plus, at the end of each song, the older girl whistled - not regular whistling, but the kind one does with two fingers in the mouth. At least they weren't there long, so it was not enough to ruin my evening. :-) Plus, they were kids, and my level of patience is always far higher with kids than with adults. If they had been of major age, they would have had an earful from me.

When it was clear it was the very end of the concert, I began to feel sad, wondering when I would see Clay again. As he left the stage, I blew him a kiss, not caring what anyone would think. And the smile I wore since the beginning of the concert never left me, neither at the end nor in the days that followed! Even the manager of the hotel where I was staying noticed my huge smile when I walked in, close to midnight that evening.

Clay's voice and joyful presence just rub off, making me - and many others around him - feel happiness and a deep sense of peace in our lives.

When is Clay coming back to Canada? Clay, will it happen? I hope it will be soon. :-) If not, I will just have to travel again, head on somewhere down the highway, because I can't wait to see Clay again in person. He's the best!

No comments: